OF TEVEREY—Azure, a lion rampant argent.
THE River Erewash, which forms the county boundary between
Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire for the greater part of its
twisting course, divides the parish of Stapleford from the
latter county. Across this stream from the neighbouring
village of Long Eaton, the family of Teverey migrated in
the days of Edward III. to Stapleford.
migration from the place with which they had been associated
since the days of King John, seems to have been attributable
to a marriage between one Johannes Teverey and Margareta
de Stapleford, who eventually brought him a considerable
property here and elsewhere. Upon the strength of
this union, he, or his descendants. seem to have used
the arms of Stapleford, viz., argent, on two bars azure
three cinquefoils or, in lieu of those of Teverey, as
is evinced on the floor-stone in front of the Chancel
step, and from the mural monument to John Teverey. The
property was held "of the King as of the honor of
his Castle of Nottingham by fealty and suit at his Court
at the Castle of five shillings yearly" (I.P.M. '
quartering Heriz, impaling Crevequeur.
Tevereys allied themselves by marriage with other good
families, such as the Willoughbys, the Chaworths, as may
still be seen on the floor-stone referred to, and the
Crevequeurs of Twyford. After passing from father to son
for several generations, the property eventually came
to Gervase Teverey, who died in August, 1639, aged 65,
leaving a family of three daughters, his only son John
having died an infant.
eldest daughter, Mary, married Sir Bryan Palmes, of Haburn,
Yorkshire. Gervase Teverey settled the property on the
son of this marriage, namely, Teverey Palmes, who died
unmarried, when the estate went to his brother, Francis
Palmes, whose wife was a daughter of the Earl of Westmoreland.
They left no issue, and the property passed to yet another
brother, William, whose home was in Yorkshire. This man,
who married Mary, co-heir of Lord Evers, sold the Stapleford
estate to one of the Warrens of Toton, one of whose descendants,
Admiral Sir John Borlase
Warren, Bart., lived at the Hall until his death in
tomb (1639), Stapleford church.
double alabaster tomb in the Church is that of Gervase
Teverey and his wife Anna, daughter of.....Ashby, of Quenby,
in Leicestershire. He was the last of the family.
tomb and its superstructure originally stood against the
south wall of the Church: the lower part was ruthlessly
and unnecessarily removed in 1877 in order, apparently,
to provide some three additional seats, to its present
position across the eastern end of the north aisle.
portion of the tomb shows indications that the removal
and re-construction were carelessly carried out, and has
suffered from its hard usage accordingly. The superstructure
with its shield of arms and long Latin inscription still
remains in its original position.
effigies bear distinct traces of having been painted:
the Squire's head rests upon an embroidered cushion (the
large crested helmet having disappeared in his day), and
he wears plate armour back and front, with broad taces
and arm guards, whilst his lower limbs are equipped in
large riding boots. His costume is later than that of
any other effigy mentioned in this book. The wife is on
the right side of her husband, and is represented in a
long, loose robe, with a frill round her neck and wrists.
grouping of the figures below is uncommon; they probably
represent their family of three daughters, the small figure
to the front their baby boy. In the shield of arms under
the entablature the Teverey arms are reverted to in contradistinction
to those in the adjacent mural monument to his father,
John Teverey, who used those of Stapleford. The quartered
shield shows, first Teverey, second Stapleford, third
argent on a bend gttles, three hedgehogs or (HERIZ?) and
fourth Crevequer, or, fretty sable, on a chief gules a
lion passant guardant of the first.
is probable that the third quartering may be intended
for the arms of Heriz, an important family in Stapleford,
one of whom was feudatory to Peverel, but the hedgehogs
of Heriz of Gonalston, near Nottingham, are not shown
as on a bend. Hedgehogs on a bend are the arms of Paschall,
of Eastwood, Notts., but the pedigree in Thoroton's History
of Notts, does not show any connection between the Tevereys
and that family. The Teverey arms are impaled with those
of Gervase's wife, Ashby, of Quenby, viz., azure, a chevron
ermine between three leopards faces or.
is an interesting cross with Saxon knotwork, and what
appears to be a representation of St. Luke in the village
street of Stapleford, close by the Church gate.
George Fellows, ' Arms, Armour and Alabaster
Round Nottingham' (1907)
to A. Nicholson for the use of text and pictures: www.nottshistory.org.uk