BBC Nottingham. Local weather forecast for Stapleford, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire.  Nottingham Weather »
Home page: Stapleford Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
Stapleford Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

 
 

Bramcote and Stapleford Hills Public Open Spaces
Places of Interest >> St Helen's Church >>
Stapleford History >> St Helen's - The Teverey Family >>
The Hemlock Stone >> Bramcote Hall - The Smiths >>
Stapleford Cross >> Stapleford Hall - The Wrights >>

These crests, both found on the cottages within the
walled garden, are part of the coat of arms of John
Sherwin Gregory of Bramcote Hills. As condition of
inheritance, John Longden, Lord of the Manor of
Bramcote, assumed the name of Sherwin in
1825(eagle) and of Gregory in 1860 (wheatsheaf). HEMLOCK STONE
This sandstone monolith has been associated with Druid
activities during the Celtic period in British history. Many
myths and legends abound, ranging from giants to the Devil
and to witchcraft. WALLED GARDEN
The walled garden was created around
1850 and completed by 1880. The boundary
walls that exist from different periods once
enclosed a working fruit / vegetable garden.
Two buildings contained within the garden were Gardener's
Cottage and Dairy Cottage as shown. DAIRY COTTAGE
Dairy Cottage was a single storey building and older
than the Gardener's Cottage. The building is visible on
the 1846 Tithe map. The cottage was demolished in
2001 with a footprint left to show its position. ENTRANCE TO THE ESTATE
The approach to the house and estate was via two
drives. Both gave a glimpse of the main house
before entering the private formal garden around the
house.

View as pdf file >>

Places of Interest >> St Helen's Church >>
Stapleford History >> St Helen's - The Teverey Family >>
The Hemlock Stone >> Bramcote Hall - The Smiths >>
Stapleford Cross >> Stapleford Hall - The Wrights >>
 
 
 
©2016 StaplefordWeb